Sherdi: The Sleeping Sands
Preface: These rules are subject to change as we find new and interesting ways to break them. – mrfb
Each player accumulates bonus points which they may spend in order to buy a degree of mechanical or narrative control of the game. A few examples of their possible use are listed below, but you are encouraged to be creative with their usage.
|5||Any d20 roll is considered to be either a natural 20, or a natural 1.|
|3||Reroll any attack, damage, skill, or save roll. Use the second result.|
|1||+1 to an attack or skill check you make, or -1 to one made against you.|
|1||+2 to any attack roll made with an action point or daily power.|
You may also award bonus points to other players as they commit heroic/vile deeds, tell funny jokes, roleplay well, bring tasty snacks to a session, solve difficult puzzles, and so on.
When an attack roll is a natural 20:
- The attack deals maximum damage, and automatically hits. Class features such as Sneak Attack or Hunter’s Quarry also deal maximum damage.
- Critical damage dice are rolled, such as those from a magic weapon/implement or a weapon with the High Crit property.
- The attacker may spend 1 or more Bonus Points to add additional effects of the attacker’s choosing, at the DM’s approval.
- The target of the attack gains 1 Bonus Point.
When an attack roll is a natural 1:
- The attacker loses any actions it had remaining in the turn. The attacker may still use Free Actions, such as spending an Action Point.
- You grant Combat Advantage to all attackers until you regain your composure at the beginning of your next turn.
- Targets within range may spend 1 Bonus Point to make an Opportunity Attack against you.
- You gain 1 Bonus Point.
Note: (Monsters/NPCs typically begin combat with a number of Bonus Points equal to their number of Action Points.)
The intricacies of the arcane are a mystery to most, and the artifacts of the past are potentially dangerous tools. During a short rest, you may make an arcana check of DC 15 + the item’s level to attempt to identify a magic item. You may not make another identify attempt until you take an extended rest, at which point you can take 20 on your identify check.
Powers with the Arcane keyword are sometimes subject to the oftentimes unpredictable bursts of energy caused by ancient events in Sherdi’s history. On an arcane attack roll of 1 or 20, a wild surge is triggered (roll d10,000 and tell the DM your result).
On the day sacred to each deity, there are offerings, services, and small celebrations in their name across Sherdi. On these days, the gods offer powerful blessings and protections to mortals who serve their agenda well.
Writing campaign journals, adventure logs, short stories, and et cetera will earn you bonus experience, if that’s your thing.
Anyone can harvest the remains of certain creatures. Doing so requires a monster knowledge check (easy/medium/hard depending on the status of the monster as standard/elite/solo, respectively). These remains are worth 20% of the monster’s XP value in GP on the open market. Certain remains can be used in the manufacturing of equipment, in which case they are worth more.